Life as a Graduate Student: Second Year Edition

I started the fourth semester (2nd year) of my master’s degree program about three weeks ago (around the same time y’all resumed as well), and I must say, it’s been a long couple of weeks. Fortunately for me, the Master of Nursing Science program here at UNBC was initially developed to operate as a distance and online form of learning; as such, my enrolled courses for this semester have been relatively unaffected by the campus-wide switch to alternative mode of education delivery. I suppose it won’t be bold of me to claim to be something of a pro at online-learning.

https://makeameme.org/meme/you-can-call-qpvcpo

As part of the requirement of being enrolled in a thesis-based master’s program, I am required to embark on an independent research under the supervision of a knowledgeable professor. Since I am in the proposal development stage of my thesis, I have devoted uncountable hours of my time this summer doing a lot of reading, writing and editing. I must say, it’s the not-so fun part of research – in all honesty – but perhaps the most important stage as well. I will stop here so as not to bore you with the gory details of literature search, critiquing and research matrix. Nevertheless, I must needs say that diligent perseverance in the aforementioned stage makes for a smoother journey down the road (at least so I’ve been told).

As if full time graduate study is not enough, I work part-time as a Registered Nurse at one of the complex care facilities here in Prince George – a job I absolutely enjoy, although can be mentally and emotionally tasking at times. I also hold a casual position with the BC office of patient-centred measurement (BCPCM) as a cognitive testing interviewer (a recent but amazing development!). The office of BCPCM (https://www.bcpcm.ca/bc-patient-centred-measurement) deals with measurement of patient experiences and outcomes to enhance public accountability as well as facilitating the province’s progress towards providing care that is patient-centred. Prior to the launching of a full-scale survey study, cognitive testing is done to ensure that the survey successfully captures the scientific intent of the questions in a way that makes sense to the respondents. In this role, I get to cognitively test aspects of the developed survey by interviewing a small number of select respondents that is like the target population.

Say cheese 🙂

In a nutshell, this has been my semester so far; I look forward to what the coming months bring 😊

One Reply to “Life as a Graduate Student: Second Year Edition”

1. Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too great. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site.